Spicy Raspberry Barbecued Salmon



Spicy Raspberry Barbecued Salmon

I catered a graduation party for a client and 75 of their family and friends. The menu included Hot Wings, Roasted Vegetable Quesdillas, Pan Fried Onion Dip, Artichoke and Parmesan Dip and Crudite and Chips, Pulled Pork Sandwiches and Cole Slaw and Spicy Raspberry Barbecued Chicken. I made a double batch of the Spicy Raspbery Barbecue Sauce and decided to test it on my family.

Spicy Raspberry Barbecued Salmon was on the menu along with steamed basmati rice and a refrigerator salad - a salad that uses up what's in the refrigerator - any vegetable, cheese, and dressing that needs to be eaten before it passes its prime. Our salad consisted of romaine lettuce, chopped broccoli, diced cucumber, grated sharp cheddar, and a dressing made from the Dill Dip used when I served the Chicken Nuggets earlier in the week. To a cup of the Dill Dip, I add about 1/4 cup half and half to thin it out to dressing consistency.

No Thank You Boy wanted to help out and learned how to grill the salmon. Even though he has never grilled before, his favorite phrase was, "I know how to do that." He does not take direction well. He was in typical manform in that he thinks he is a Master of the Grill. A few tricky moments flipping the salmon, but all and all he will be my "Griller-of-the-Future." One less dinner time job for me.

Mixed reviews from the family. My Middle One really does not like fruit with grilled fish and meats. She ate her portion of salmon, but covered it with a good amount of tartar sauce. The remaining family members liked the spicy/sweet sauce that is a kicked up barbecue sauce.

I won't mind having a container of this in my refrigerator for emergency dinners.

Spicy Raspberry Barbecued Salmon

about 2 pounds of salmon fillets
1/2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
1 (10-ounce) jar seedless raspberry preserves
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
2 teaspoons hot sauce

Prepare a hot grill. Season salmon with salt and pepper. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine barbecue sauce, preserves, water, dijon mustard, raspberry vinegar, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 - 4 minutes until slightly thickened.

Grill salmon for about 4 - 5 minutes per side, basting with sauce. Watch for flare-ups. Serve with extra sauce.

Note - if the sauce thickens, warm and add a little water to thin.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We ate a really good salad with raspberry dressing at a friends home a couple of weeks ago which this immediately reminded me of. I love the sweet/savoury combination using raspberries and I think I may just have to try this!

Prudy said...

I'd love it! I love fruity BBQ sauces. We loved your chicken salad, BTW.

test it comm said...

This sounds really tasty. I like the use of the raspberries in a savoury sauce.

the Aspirant Abecedarian said...

This looks delicious! We will definitely try this soon. The idea of using raspberries and fish is very appealing to us. Yummy!

Paula said...

Oooh, That sauce sounds so good. I've not seen something like that before. Yum!

Robin said...

Haven't had salmon in a while. I'll have to give this a whirl. I love dijon in sauces.

amycaseycooks said...

recipe2share - Raspberry dressing is one of my favorites that I do not have very often.

prudy - glad you liked the chicken salad!!

kevin - the raspberries add a nice twist to the sauce.

the aspirant abecedarian - hope you like it.

paula - I have a balsamic glazed chicken I'll be posting in the future. If you like this one, it will be a fav too.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sounds wonderful and I do love salmon!!!!

La Bella Cooks said...

I really like the idea of raspberries in the sauce! It is a great idea.

joey said...

Adore salmon and thought I'd prepared it every way possible ... not so ... this looks yummy and on my list next 'to do' list. Thanks :)