Grilled Teriyaki Salmon and Fresh Corn and Scallion Timbales


Cooking fish on the grill is a low maintenance dinner. I am pretty lazy on the weekends when it comes to cooking. My menus typically come together quickly. Grilled Teriyaki Wild Salmon , Fresh Corn and Scallion Timbales, Caprese Salad, and a baguette with olive oil for dipping was enjoyed on our deck Sunday night.

I'm sure the first thought that popped into your head is that I'm never going to make a timbale for my family. What the heck is a timbale anyway?!? It's just a fancy name for a ramekin-type dish which is usually hardier than a souffle and like a crustless quiche. Timbales can contain a variety of ingredients. For mine, I included fresh corn, scallions, three cheeses, cornmeal, and a few eggs.

The salmon marinated for an hour. I used this recipe but had The Husband grill the salmon for about 5 minutes per side instead of roasting it in the oven. The prep for the Fresh Corn and Scallion Timbales was mainly the measuring and mixing of ingredients. The most time consuming part of the recipe is the 30 minutes they spend in the oven. The timbales can be served in the individual dishes or unmolded for a different presentation.

Almost any salmon dish is a no-brainer for my family. 2 pounds of fish is almost not enough for us. Good thing I had a loaf of bread to fill up those kids. 3 family members enjoyed the timbales. No Thank You Boy was in true no thank you form and wouldn't even try it. The little sh!t. He had is teeth clenched so hard I think he ground the enamel off. My Middle One was a good sport and tried it. Not that she liked it, but she tried it. I think she gagged.

In my years of cooking, I have discovered that not everyone is going to like everything you cook. I have also discovered that most people have preconceived notions of what they like and dislike. If you can get someone to try something new, a majority of the time he will like it. The challenge lies in getting people to try something new. I'm up for the challenge.

Fresh Corn and Scallion Timbales

makes 8

8 ears of corn
3 scallions
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 cup Gorgonzola
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
4 extra large eggs
1 cup half and half
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 8 ramekins (1-cup each) with cooking spray. Place on a large baking sheet and set aside.

Cut the corn off the cobs and place in a large bowl. Add the scallions, cornmeal, cheddar, Gorgonzola, and ricotta cheeses and stir to combine. In a small bowl combine the eggs, half and half, sugar, salt and pepper. Add to the corn mixture and stir to combine. Divide evenly between the ramekins.

Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes until the tops are lightly brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes. Either serve in the ramekins or run a knife around the edge and invert on a plate and gently shake to unmold.


12 comments:

Jennifer said...

My husband is a corn freak, he would love that!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I have never made timbales before but need to try it. These sound so delicious!

Leah said...

I'm laughing at your comment about No Thank You Boy, grinding the enamel off his teeth while refusing to try the timbale; my oldest is just like that, which annoys me to the neverending!! My daughters will try anything once, but my son is so picky it drives me CRAZY!!!

I should try salmon on these guys. I just never think of it I guess!

Patsyk said...

I'm gonna have to buy salmon so I can try this... sounds wonderful!

Never had a timbale, but with those ingredients you can't go wrong.

Cynthia said...

I have got to try the corn and scallion timbales.

I like the idea of individual mac and cheese bites. Good for portion control also.

test it comm said...

These sound really good. Lots of corn and cheese.

Jenny said...

I love the idea of cooking in ramekins, I can't wait to try it. Love your ideas!!

Aimée said...

No Thank You Boy?? Did my son pop over to your place for dinner?? I don't know what it is about him and corn, but I'm hoping he grows out of it soon.
Fantastic sounding menu. Even better blog concept. See you around!

Dragon said...

I love the combination of cheeses you used for these timbales. YUM!

Megan said...

I am seriously laughing out loud at your "My No Thank You Boy"--hysterical. How can anyone turn down a dish that has both gorgonzola and half&half? Seriously?

I am making these this weekend!

Thanks! Megan of Bit of Nutmeg

Megan said...

I am literally laughing out loud at the "No Thank You Boy" hysterical! How can you not like a dish that features both gorgonzola and half & half? Um YUM.

Thanks for the recipe!

Megan of Bit of Nutmeg

Jan said...

I have never tried timbales but these look and sound great! Your son doesn't know what he's missing, but I'm sure he'll wise up as he gets older.