Macadamia Crusted Cod with Kiwi Nectarine Relish


With school back in session and sports activities in full swing, I have returned to planning our dinners in a more organized manner. Good bye summer. We seem to be eating more in shifts, maybe 1 or 2 family members at a time, which requires me to prep dinner earlier than I did during the lazy summer months.

Friday night's dinner was no exception. I had most of it prepared by 5 p.m. with just a few finishing touches needed to dinner time. My Oldest leaves for school at 6:30 in the morning and returns home at 5:30 p.m. after field hockey practice. If she forgets to pack a snack, she is rather cranky when she gets home to say the least. She gets that personality trait from me. I am always packing granola bars or an apple to avert a hunger-induced meltdown. She arrived home in typical famished fashion and was to leave to babysit in a half an hour. She was the first to try Macadamia Crusted Cod with Kiwi Nectarine Relish.

I found a similar recipe for the August 2008 issue of Cooking Light magazine. The original recipe calls for mahi mahi which I couldn't find. I substituted the freshest fresh at my local market which happened to be cod. My usual preparation for cod it a fish fry; this recipe would be something new. Cod fillets were dipped in a coconut milk, soy sauce and hoisin mixture and then dipped in panko and finely chopped macadamia nuts. The fillets are quickly seared, crust side down, and flipped over and finished in the oven. The fish is topped with a kiwi and nectarine relish. I served it with a side of roasted asparagus and israeli couscous and mixed grains (note: white rice was available for My Middle One and No Thank You Boy).

As for my assessment of the recipe, I would highly recommend it. It is easy to prepare and prep ahead. I coated the fish with the topping and stored it in the frig until cooking time (about 10 minutes is needed to sear and cook the fish). The recipe is also adaptable to other fish types. It could easily use salmon, halibut, or tilapia. For my faithful readers, you will remember that I have a family full of salmon lovers. I was expanding their culinary horizons last night with a different fish. My Middle One commented, "This is really good, and I bet it would be even better with salmon." My Oldest ate first and I'm not sure if she even tasted it because she ate so quickly. She did say she liked it though. All except for the fruit relish. My family does not like fruit on any meat. I make it just for me.

The remaining 4 family members ate together a little later. We all enjoyed the meal with The Husband commenting that he would like to try this recipe with a different fish. Cod reminds him of a fish fry. Next time I may use cod for a couple other recipes we like including Cornmeal Crusted Fish Sticks and Beer Battered Fish and Shrimp.

I consider our dinner a success. Recipes that are adaptable to other preparations are some of my favorites.

Macadamia Crusted Cod with Kiwi Nectarine Relish

adapted from the August 2008 issue of Cooking Light magazine

for relish
1 kiwi, diced
1/2 nectarine, diced
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1/4 of a yellow pepper, diced
2 tablespoons salted macadamia nuts, finely chopped

for fish
3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/4 cup salted macadamia nuts, finely chopped
3/4 cup light coconut milk
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin
6 (6-ounce) cod, tilapia, or other firm white fish
olive oil

For the relish, combine ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

For the fish, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the panko and macadamia nuts in a shallow dish. Combine the coconut milk, soy sauce, and hoisin in another shallow dish. Dip the fish in the milk mixture and dredge one side in the panko mixture. Pat down the panko mixture to help it adhere to the fish.

Heat a large nonstick saute pan to medium high and add a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Add the fish, crust side down, and cook for about 2 - 3 minutes. Watch it closely so the crust does not burn. Remove the fish to a baking sheet and bake for about 6 - 8 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through.

Serve fish topped with relish.

5 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ah yes, the school year is in full-swing now - no more summer, unfortunately :0(

Ooh, that Kiwi-Nectarine Relish sounds delightful!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Sounds like a great combination. I need all the prep aheed recipes i can get. This is the second fish recipe I have seen with kiwi.

Jan said...

That fish looks delish, as does the relish.

Rindy R said...

This sounds absolutely delicious!

amycaseycooks said...

Veggiegirl - we had some very tired kids around our house after the first week of school.

Lisa - prep ahead recipes are key this time a year.

jan - thanks. it was very good and can be a topping for many different types of fish.

rindy r - thanks - we did enjoy it.