Chicken a la King

Chicken a la King
"Chicken a la King?! That sounds like a made up recipe name." After that comment, I discovered that The Husband had never had the privilege of enjoying this dinner staple of the 1970s.

Chicken a la King is a close cousin to chicken pot pie and every bit as enjoyable. When I was growing up, it was served over white toast. Tonight I replaced the toast with Pillsbury Grands Buttermilk Biscuits. I made this executive recipe alteration because I was too lazy to make my own biscuits and because they were on sale for half price at the grocery store.

My recipe makes a large batch - enough for lunch tomorrow and maybe an extra dinner too. It freezes well so put some in the freezer for dinner later in the month. Just let the frozen Chicken a la King thaw in the refrigerator 24 hours before you want to serve it and you'll have dinner in no time.

Chicken a la King

serves 8

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt - depending on how salty the chicken stock is
dash of allspice
1 1/2 cups carrots, julienned & cooked to crisp tender (3 min. on high in the microwave)
1 cup peas, frozen
7 cups cooked and shredded chicken
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
8 biscuits - I used Pillsbury Grands Buttermilk Biscuits or 8 slices of toast

In a large pot over medium high heat, add the butter and olive oil. When the butter has melted, add the onion and mushrooms. Saute for about 8 - 10 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk and chicken stock, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Season with pepper, salt and allspice. Stir in carrots, peas, chicken, and parsley. Continue cooking until heated through. Serve over biscuits or toast.


Lisa said...

This looks great! It will give new meaning to the name for me. Whenever I hear chicken al a king I think of it from my elementary school cafeteria which is not a good thing however yours must be delicious.

kat said...

such a comfort meal!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Its funny, I knew this was a 70s type of dish, but beyond that, I didn't know what it was and have never had it before. Sounds yummy to me!

Robin Sue said...

This was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. My hubby doesn't like mushrooms but I think I could easily leave them out of his portion. The picture is so pretty and colorful.

Candy said...

Oh wow, talk about memories. My mom made this once a week when I was a kid, and like you, we had it over white toast. It was one of the few things I remember eating. Can't wait to try this recipe!

Pam said...

Total comfort food. I loved this growing up! It looks so pretty and delicious.

That Girl said...

I love these crazy nostalgic kind of dishes.

Proud Italian Cook said...

A true classic with a nice modern update!

Rindy R said...

What a great idea - I haven't thought about that dish in a long time. I think with this fall weather outside this will be the perfect dish for tomorrow after church!
Thanks for bringing this oldie but goody to mind!

Jenny said...

Looks fantastic! I love comforting dishes like this.

angela in texas said...

Made it! It was yummy! Thanks again for another great recipe!

EAT! said...

angela in texas - so glad you liked this recipe. it was a favorite when I was growing up.

Chicken Recipe said...

I posted a recipe in my link for a chicken recipe
this is a new recipe I recently found
I made it for a family dinner
the entire family enjoyed it very much

very nice blog I appreciate good blog content

Anonymous said...

I made this for dinner several times last fall and I came back again to find the recipe. My family really liked it! When I served it to my mom she said the carrots really brightened it up. Thank you for a wonderful, easy dinner.

EAT! said...

anonymous - thanks for stopping back to give feedback on my recipe. It is a favorite at my house too. Happy cooking!