Grilled Mexican Chicken with Tomato Avocado Salsa


After picking up a new client and interviewing another potential client, my personal cheffing schedule has been filling up. My days are little easier to schedule during the summer months because I don't need to factor in getting the kids up and off to school, but those days will be here soon enough.

Today was a cook day for one of my clients. It started out about 7 a.m. with a big cup of coffee and a few scoops of kibble for the dogs. I packed my car with my cooking supplies and was off to the grocery store by 8:15. I cruised through the aisles of the store and along the way answered a couple inquisitive people's questions about my personal chef business. They spied my handy dandy clipboard with my computerized shopping list and commented on my organizational skills. I breezed through the checkout and with my groceries neatly packed in my eco-friendly shopping bags, I was off to my clients' kitchen. For 3 and 1/2 hours I prepared brie and caramelized onion stuffed chicken with roasted root vegetables, bacon, Swiss, and mushroom mini meatloaves with honeyed baby carrots, and chicken fajitas with Spanish rice. With the meals packaged and stacked in the refrigerator and the kitchen left spotless, I was on my way home to make dinner for my family.

I have been in a cooking slump lately. Nothing seems to sound utterly fantastic to cook for dinner. Time to adopt a new philosophy - just make good food. No need to reinvent the wheel I mean the meal every night.

On the menu tonight was Grilled Mexican Chicken with Tomato Avocado Salsa. My new favorite chicken part to cook (besides drumsticks) is the chicken tender. It grills up quickly and stays moist and juicy. Just over 2 pounds of chicken was marinated in a concoction of lime juice, cumin, cilantro, paprika, garlic, onion, Worchestershire sauce, olive oil, chili powder and brown sugar. 8 - 10 minutes on a hot grill and they are done. Topped with a fresh salsa of tomatoes, avocados, kirby cucumber, onion, and cilantro, and dinner is on the table in no time. A sprinkling of cojita cheese adds a salty Mexican twist.

This menu was well received all around. My Middle One will eat the salsa with tortilla chips at every chance she gets. I needed to hid the bowl from her before dinner so she did not devour it all. The Husband served his chicken and salsa in flour tortillas and was appreciative of the leftovers available for tomorrow. The meal was very satisfying, but not so overly filling to make me need to put on elastic-waisted shorts after dinner. The combination of flavors was very fresh tasting. The chicken is not overly spicy. Add more chili powder if you like your food with some heat.

A prefect summer meal.



Grilled Mexican Chicken with Tomato Avocado Salsa
serves 6
for chicken --
1/4 cup onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 1/2 pounds chicken tenders

for salsa --
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1 cup kirby cucumber, chopped
2 1/2 cups tomato, chopped
juice of 1/2 of a lime
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, chopped and tossed with juice of 1/2 of a lime
salt and pepper to taste

cojita cheese, for sprinkling
tortillas
tortilla chips

In a small bowl combine the first 10 ingredients. Place the chicken tenders in a resealable bag and add the marinade. Seal and squish around the contents to mix well. Let chicken marinate for about an hour.

Heat a grill to medium high. While the grilling is heating, prepare the salsa. In a medium sized bowl, combine the salsa ingredients. Set aside.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and and grill for about 4 - 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from grill and top with the salsa and the cojita cheese. Serve with tortillas and tortilla chips.


19 comments:

DineInDiva said...

That looks really good. And I know what you mean about the slump. I have so many parties scheduled right now the last thing I want to do is cook myself dinner.

Denise said...

I also love the chicken tenders, they make life so much easier. I am so happy to have a new way to make them. Love cojita cheese, too. Thnx for the new recipe.

kat said...

My husband would love this too

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Perfect I would say too:d It gives me an idea for lunch.

Patsyk said...

I love the different ways you can serve this meal. Everyone can be made happy without any extra effort!

Bill Medifast said...

Such a delicious meal. It's the perfect option for not only family night but even when I have guests over.

Anonymous said...

thanks for another great chicken recipe. My family loves your bbq pulled chicken, I doubled the recipe the last time and it just vanishes!! I couldn't find your recipe for the brie/carmelized onion chicken meal, please share. Thank you, love your blog.

teresa said...

The flavors look absolutely out of this world!

Robin said...

I loved hearing about your shopping trip and cooking day, you do sound organized! I bet your list is even planned out according to the isles too so you never miss anything. I am in a cooking slump all the time this summer!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I had this for lunch today!! Delicious as well as nutricious. Just what the summer asked for.

test it comm said...

That is one tasty looking meal!

Unknown said...

Now that's a recipe to get you salivating! Mmmm I can't wait to try this one. Thanks, Amy!

theUngourmet said...

Yum! This is one great dish! I must pick up some of that cheese!

noble pig said...

Love the salsa on top, especially the avocado!

Christine from Medifast Coupons said...

You are right. This would be a perfect summer meal. Thanks for sharing it.

Angela said...

I made this tonight and my husband and I both loved it! I especially loved the salsa on top of the chicken. Thanks again!

amycaseycooks said...

Angela - I made over 2 1/2 pounds of chicken tenders when I made this recipe - I was so glad for the leftovers for tacos, on top of salads, etc...

Juliann said...

Love it! So much flavor without a lot of fuss. Much better then any bottled marinade. I used the leftovers chopped up with beans and made quesadillas. This recipe is going to change my life!!! We eat so much mexican its a great building block

Jim Jenkins said...

Thank you for this. I made it yesterday and it was so delicious. Browsing your recipes has helped me get excited about cooking again. Now on to the Chicken Souvlaki!