Blueberry Bread Pudding Pancakes


Sometimes, breakfast is actually dinner. I have been meaning to try this new recipe and thought dinner was as good a time as any. It is like eating dinner and dessert all at the same time. I ran across a recipe for Bread Pudding Pancakes in int now defunct Garden Plate magazine a couple months ago and decided the idea sounded interesting. I hardly ever eat pancakes. The whole sugar rush thing first thing in the morning really throws me into high gear.

I have been testing new breakfast items for the menu at Lake Mohawk Gourmet Foods which is the cafe where I work. I have eaten stacks and stacks and stacks of pancakes. This recipe was a smashing success! The pancakes are a cross between a fluffy french toast and a pancake. They look pretty lumpy when they are cooked but, they come out fantastic. I got 2 rave reviews and one "no thanks" from my kids. I actually put them on the menu at the cafe this past weekend and had many a clean plate club member.

Here is my version of the recipe -- give it a try for yourself!

Cinnamon Blueberry Bread Pudding Pancakes

makes about 10 large pancakes

8 slices of cinnamon swirl bread, slice into 1/2 inch cubes
2 1/4 cups milk
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beat slightly
4 tablespoons butter, melted plus extra for cooking
1 cup fresh blueberries
Syrup

Put bread in a large bowl. Add milk and stir to coat all cubes. Mix in cinnamon and nutmeg. Let sit for about 10 minutes until bread gets pretty mushy. Add flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until just combined. Stir in eggs and butter until just combined. Heat griddle to medium. Coat griddle with melted butter. Ladle about 1/3 cup of the batter onto hot griddle. Dot with a few of the blueberries. Cook for about 3 -4 minutes watching carefully so the pancakes don't burn. Flip and continue cooking for about another 2 -3 minutes. The centers of the pancakes will be moist but cooked. Serve with warm syrup.

If you want to change up these pancakes, add different fruits or top with sauteed bananas or apples.

No comments: