Grilled Fusion Chicken with Sauteed Cabbage and Carrots

Grilled Fusion Chicken with Sauteed Cabbage and Carrots

I got in a rut about what to make for dinner. It happens every once in a while when I try to make something that the whole family will like. Super spicy for The Husband. Not too spicy for My Oldest. Menu must include white rice for The Middle One. No saucy sauces for No Thank You Boy. Forget that. I grabbed a few issues of my latest food magazines and picked a bunch of recipes. I've got the next 5 nights planned out.

For last nights dinner, I pretty much just made up the recipe. It is a little sweet, a little spicy, and served with a side dish that is a bit different around here. a dry rub with sweet curry and salt and pepper gives the chicken a kick while the glaze is kinda sweet. After grilling, I served it with sauteed cabbage and carrots. I feel guilty if I don't use summer's bounty of vegetables but, it is what I had on hand.

Grilled Fusion Chicken with Peach-Hoisin Glaze

6 chicken breasts, either bone-in or boneless
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sweet curry powder
1/4 cup peach preserves
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup chopped mandarin oranges, canned is fine

Mix together the salt, pepper, and curry powder and rub on chicken. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour. In a small saucepan, mix together peach preserves, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and oranges. Bring to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes. Set aside.

Heat grill to medium high and grill chicken until it registers about 165 degrees on a thermometer, about 6 minutes per side for boneless and 10 - 12 minutes per side for bone-in. Baste the chicken with the glaze during the last couple minutes of grilling and watch for flare ups. Remove from grill and serve over Sauteed Cabbage and Carrots.


Sauteed Cabbage and Carrots

1 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
4 carrots, peeled and grated
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Heat a large skillet to medium high and melt the butter. Add the cabbage and carrots and saute until wilted, about 8 - 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: