Beer Battered Fish and Shrimp with Asian Coleslaw


I have one memory of deep frying from my childhood. We had one of those deep fryers with the basket that came out. One day my Mom made donuts. We fried them on the picnic table in the backyard so the house wouldn't smell like Kentucky Fried Chicken. I think the donuts were good, but we never did that again.

I decided to tackle deep frying on my own. Beer Battered Fish and Shrimp with Asian Cole Slaw was the menu on Saturday night. I don't have a deep fryer - used my big stock pot instead. The pot is still sitting on the stove top as I decide what to do with the oil.

I checked out recipes in my cookbooks and online. I put a few recipes together and came up with a pretty good version of fish and chips. Besides the fact that I never deep fry and the calorie count and cholesterol level are somewhat higher (a lot!) then I usually cook, the fish and shrimp were great. The house did smell like Kentucky Fried Chicken. I had every door open, fans running and candles glowing to combat the smell. I made enough for fish tacos and for The Husband's lunch the next day and night. I served it with a cole slaw with a twist. Mine had an Asian inspired dressing and some toasted almonds. Also very nice.

As usual, 3 of the 5 of the family members enjoyed dinner. No Thank You Boy is used to the tiny popcorn shrimp so he said, "the shrimp tasted funny." He has been studying up on nutrition and was shocked we were eating a "fried" dinner. My Middle One did not like the coating on the fish. She is turning into No Thank You Girl. The Husband, My Oldest and myself had a great Saturday Night Fish Fry.





Beer Battered Fish and Shrimp

serves 4 with plenty of leftovers

about 2 pounds of cod, cut into 3 inch pieces
12 large shrimp, 20 - 24 count per pound, peeled with tails on
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 to 1 1/2 cups beer

tartar sauce - 1 cup mayo to 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish and a squeeze of lemon
lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

In a bowl, mix together flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1 cup of the beer. The batter will be thick, like pancake batter. Drink the rest of the beer.

Pour about 3 inches deep of vegetable oil in a large stock pot. The large pot with high sides will help keep splatters to a minimum. Heat oil to 365 degrees. Dip the fish and shrimp (a couple pieces at a time) into the batter and then gently place in the oil. Fry for about 2 - 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on a brown paper bag. As fish and shrimp is fried, place on a baking sheet and keep warm in oven.

Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.


Asian Cole Slaw

5 cups shredded cabbage, I used the pre-shredded cabbage and carrot mix
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
dash of hot sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup toasted almonds, slivered

Mix together mayonnaise, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, hot sauce, and sugar. Add cabbage and almonds and toss to coat. Chill for about 30 - 1 hour before serving.


No comments: