Flat Bread Pizzas ala Trader Joe's


I like shopping at Trader Joe's. If I was single and living by myself, I would love Trader Joe's. The store offers many funky items that are packaged for single people and they are not your run of the mill grocery store items. Where else can you find Mochi green tea ice cream, dark chocolate covered espresso beans, chipolte pistachio nuts, apple stuffed turkey breast and Pirate Booty all in one stop? I like just wandering the aisles multiple times. By the time I leave the store, they are glad to see me go because I look like I am casing the joint for a robbery. I probably read every label during my visit. It is kinda like a field trip for me.

On my last visit, I picked up a new product. I am not sure if it is new to the store, but it was new to me - I originally bought these flat breads to make wrap sandwiches. I made one with turkey, Gruyere, cranberry relish and romaine and had my fill of wraps. Not my favorite.

I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner a couple nights ago when I taped into my childhood memories. while most kids ran home from school to watch Gilligan's Island, I watched Julia Child on PBS. One of her favorite recipes was for Pissaladiere which is really an onion pizza. After all those years of watching Julia make it, I decided it was my turn to try. I don't own a copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, so I went to my next best source - The Barefoot Contessa. I have made a few recipes out of her Barefoot in Paris cookbook. I have to say this is not my favorite of all her books. She does have a Pissaladiere recipe that I adapted and I liked the results. The pissa can be served warm or at room temp and would make a great holiday appetizer.

As for the reviews, The Husband was working late - no vote from him. Do you think that the three youngest taste testers in my house wanted to try it. "A pizza with no sauce, hardly any cheese, and all those onions? What are we going to eat?" You would think I was trying to starve them. "Have you checked the frig lately? I think you will find plenty in there to eat. Use your imagination." I am not a mean, ogre mom and forced my kids to eat my French pissa. I made them regular, old cheese pizza on the flat bread. My Oldest and My Middle One gave their pizzas the AOKAY. Who would not like crispy crust pizza covered in pizza sauce and mozzarella? Well, No Thank You Boy being the Pizza Connoisseur that he is said; "It tastes funny." I said, "It's just pizza. Eat it." I ended up eating half of his and he ate Honey Nut Cheerios. When he is off on his own, he will be calling me crying for that pizza.

Salute to Julia - Pissaladiere

adapted from a Barefoot Contessa recipe in her Barefoot in Paris cookbook

serves 1 - ME!

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced thin
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
salt
pepper
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
sprinkle of parsley, chopped

One flat bread, mine was from Trader Joe's (you can also use a premade pizza crust or a tortilla)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat a large saute pan to medium high. Heat the olive oil and add the sliced onions.garlic, thyme, and a dash of salt and pepper. cook over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes or until the onions are soft but only lightly browned.

Spoon the onion topping on to the flat bread and top with the cheeses. Bake for about 6 - 8 minutes in the oven or until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley and cut in pieces. Enjoy!

If you were a kid, wouldn't you eat this??!!?




No comments: