Roasted Herb Mahi Mahi BLTs


After Thanksgiving, I took a cooking break. Not that I really cooked a lot for Thanksgiving. We went to a friends' house for Turkey Day and I only brought Shrimp Wrapped in Pea Pods with Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce, Cauliflower with Parmesan Cream Sauce, and My Sister-in-Law's Neighbor's Brother's Cheesecake.

The next day I made our FEAST which was enjoyed by 3 of the 5 of us. No Thank You Boy went off to lacrosse practice and My Oldest decided a movie with friends would be more fun than a repeat Thanksgiving dinner. She said she likes the leftovers better anyway. With the food I made for our feast, we had leftovers for 4 days. Therefore, I really didn't make anything new until today. Even though The Husband's favorite sight is Tupperware in the refrigerator, he was tired of the never ending supply of turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing. Not too many green vegetables were eaten around here during the endless leftover consumption.

I sat down on Monday night and put together a week's worth of dinners, a few snacks and some desserts I want to try. I had a renewed cooking enthusiasm after my brief kitchen hiatus. Tonight's dinner was Roasted Herb Mahi Mahi BLTs. I knew my new version of BLTs would be a hard sell around our kitchen table. The 3 amigos would balk at the mahi mahi. They can always eat just a regular BLT. My meals lately have been multifaceted in that if someone doesn't like a particular fish, sauce or vegetable, there is a way to make a meal out of the remaining ingredients. Tonight was no different.

I thought my new rendition of the BLT was great. Good flavor on the fish. The herb and caper mayo I made to go on the sandwich and a nice zip. Salty, crisp bacon. what's not to love? Well, The Husband made a deconstructed version without the whole wheat bun. More of a leaning tower of mahi mahi, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and a blob of the her mayo. My Oldest ate a BLT and tried the fish - not her favorite. My Middle One had a BLT and a half a loaf of bread with spinach dip. She was about to explode. No Thank You Boy was in between CCD and lacrosse practice and reminded me that last time I made him eat a BLT he almost choked on the lettuce leaf. He ate leftover pizza.

Well, at least I enjoyed my dinner.


Roasted Herb Mahi Mahi BLTs

serves 4

4 (6 ounces each) pieces of mahi mahi
olive oil
1 teaspoon basil, dried
1 teaspoon thyme, dried
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons capers
squeeze of lemon juice

4 whole wheat buns
8 slices of bacon, cooked
4 large slice of tomatoes
4 large lettuce leaves, I used romaine

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place the mahi mahi and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with half of the spice mixture. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise, capers, lemon juice, and remaining spice mixture in a small bowl. Stir well. Remove the mahi mahi from the oven. To make each sandwich, slather both sides of the bun with the herb mayonnaise and top with a piece of mahi mahi, 2 slices of bacon, a tomato slice and a lettuce leaf. Top with remaining bun and enjoy.

No comments: