Oh So Easy Tiramisu


As the owner of my own personal chef business, I get certain perks. Some people may not think they are perks. To me, it is a dream come true. Corny but true. Being allowed membership to any food related store, warehouse, meeting, or convention is a dream come true for me. I recently visited a new Restaurant Depot that opened in northern New Jersey. I was like a kid in a candy shop. The Depot is a huge warehouse full of everything that you could possibly need for cooking. Giant cans of crushed tomatoes, spices galore, 25 pounds slabs of beef, whole salmons, 20 pound bags of oysters. This list is endless. I spent a good hour and a half just drooling as I walked around the warehouse. I actually gasped as I entered the refrigerated room full of rounds of cheese, fresh produce, and every meat and fish imaginable.

My visit to the Depot was just a fact finding mission. While traversing the aisles, I picked up the ingredients needed for the Tiramisu that My Oldest requested a couple weeks ago. On to my big cart went some lady fingers, marscapone cheese, and whipping cream. A couple days ago, I pulled out an old recipe I've had for about 5 years and had never made and got to work.

Tiramisu is very easy to prepare. After assembling the ingredients, it took me all of 10 minutes to put together. Since the recipe calls for only a few ingredients, make sure you purchase the highest quality you can. I had forgotten how creamy and only slightly sweet good quality marscarpone tastes. I was eating it by the spoonful as I was dipping the lady fingers in the espresso. I had to cut myself off so I would have enough for the recipe.

The finished product made 3 very happy people in my house - My Oldest, No Thank You Boy, and myself. I could have eaten the whole tiramisu myself. I have to say that it has even gotten better as it has sat in the refrigerator for 2 days. I am thinking for my next one that I made add a few new tastes. Maybe a cranberry sauce for the Holidays.

Oh So Easy Tiramisu

makes an 8 x 8 inch dish - about 12 servings

1 pound marscapone cheese
1/4 cup sugar
2 - 3 tablespoons amaretto
1 cup whipping cream
24 ladyfingers
1 cup espresso, at room temperature
1/2 cup grated semisweet chocolate

Whisk together marscapone, sugar, and amaretto until smooth.

Whip the cream with chilled beaters in a chilled bowl until it has soft peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the marscapone mixture.

Dip half of each ladyfinger in the espresso and arrange them in a single layer in the bottom of an 8 x 8 inch square pan. Spread half of the marscapone mixture over the ladyfingers. Sprinkle with half of the chocolate. Dip the remaining ladyfingers in the espresso. Layer in pan. Top with remaining marscapone mixture. Sprinkle with the remainder of the chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or over night

1 comment:

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Love tiramisu! Yours came out great...again couldn't resist commenting! And here's the crazy part I could swear I've read & commented on this before! Weird, huh?!
~ingrid