Mini Macs

Mini Mac

When my kids were preschool age, our family relocated from the Midwest to Southern California. Quite a change in lifestyle for us. The Husband took a new job and worked obscenely long hours and had frequent out-of-town trips. Feeling like a fish out of water and lacking in adult comradery, the kids and I spent our 4 years basking in the Sunshine State, exploring the beaches, theme parks and mountains, and every once in a while, the McDonald's Playland.

During The Husband's work induced absences, our diversions included the local fast food establishments around our home. While my kids lost themselves in the ball pit and the endless maze of tubes and slides, I would treat myself to the occasional Big Mac. A favorite of mine as a child and still to this day. As I have passed my 20s, 30s, and enjoy my 40s, the whopping 560 calories, 31 grams of fat, and 1070 milligrams of sodium, are hardly a girl's best friend.

A craving for a Big Mac still comes over me every so often. I created a healthier, mini version of the beloved McDonald's burger to satisfy my fast food desire. No Thank You Boy was the Grillmaster and assited in the flipping of the burgers. Our indoor grill was a suitable stand-in as grilling outdoors in February in New Jersey is not an enjoyable endeavor. The burgers came together quickly with a total prep and cooking time of about 20 minutes. With a side of oven roasted fries, I can avoid the drive-thru for another day.

Mini Macs

makes 10 Mini Macs

1 pound ground beef, I used 90/10
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1000 Island dressing
shredded lettuce
dill pickle chips
diced onions
American cheese
10 small buns, such as Martin's Famous Party Potato Rolls

In a small bowl, mix the ground sirloin with a little salt and pepper. Form into about 10 mini burger patties. Make sure they are really thin. On a preheated grill pan or skillet, cook the burgers for about 2 minutes per side. After the burgers are flipped the first time, top with a slice of cheese. Remove and set aside.

Slice the bun in 2 pieces and then slice an extra layer of the bun off the top piece. Each burger will have a top bun, middle bun and bottom bun. For each Mini Mac, place the bottom bun on a plate. Top with 1 burger, a squirt of 1000 island dressing, diced onions, shredded lettuce, the middle bun, another burger, more 1000 island dressing, diced onions, 2 pickle chips, more shredded lettuce and the top bun.

Another fast food craving averted.

No comments: