Chicken Verde

Somedays, I spend an inordinate amount of time surfing food web sites. Informational sites, food blogs, sites with links to even more food sites. With 1000s of culinary sites floating out around on the World Wide Web, I am on the lookout for the latest and greatest from the food world. I read an article that said 4 out of every 10 people spend at least 4 hours a day surfing the web. I am in that 4 a couple days a week. I occasionally lose track of time and forget to plan dinner for my family. I shudder to think what would happen if they went without dinner for the night. No, not really. I love a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich every so often.

One of my recent food blog finds was Canarygirl. I find her recipes to be in a similar style to the ones I choose. Clicking through her site, I found a recipe for Chicken Verde. I am always keeping an eye out for authentic Mexican recipes. With a Sunday afternoon free, I picked up a few ingredients at the store and started cooking.

The results were better than I imagined. The shredded, Mexican flavored chicken was very tender and could be the base for many dishes. Tacos, nachos, burritos, enchiladas. I also made some fresh salsa - chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, cilantro, a little olive oil, salt and pepper - with a big bowl of warmed tortilla chips. That was a great find of the evening. Heat a bowl of store bought tortilla chips in the microwave for 45 - 60 seconds. Just like homemade - almost.

I regret we ate everything before I took a picture. I am also going to make 2 chickens next time. This would freeze well. Get the recipe from Canarygirl and surf here site. You probably have a few hours to spare today. OLE!!

No comments: