Grilled Lemon Cilantro Chicken* and Roasted Beets with Green Beans and Goat Cheese


* - this recipe is not included in my post. It is nothing spectacular. Keep reading for my suggested alternative.

Dinner time at my house never ceases to amaze me. I never know what dish will be a hit and which one will turn out a disaster. I had planned on preparing dinner a little early because of nightly kid activities. Torrential rains cancelled everything - Oh damn! I am so upset. Can you hear my sarcasm? My Middle One and No Thank You Boy filled there new found free time getting a soaking as they played basketball in the downpour.

My menu included Grilled Lemon Cilantro Chicken, Roasted Beets with Green Beans and Goat Cheese, Steamed Artichokes, and plain old white rice. The kids love artichokes. Most likely because they consume artery clogging amounts of melted butter using the leaves as spoons. The grilled chicken was good, but nothing to write home about. It got kinda dried out as we waited for The Husband to grace us with his presence. Nothing a little A-1 sauce (No Thank You Boy likes to call it B-2) and Baby Ray's barbecue sauce couldn't cure.

The star of last night's dinner was the Roasted Beets with Green Beans and Goat Cheese. Who would have guessed. I made enough for about 4 servings thinking The Husband and I would be the only takers. The eating adventurer, My Oldest, had some and loved it. A bribe of $5 got No Thank You Boy to eat 2 beans and a few chunks of the beets. Low and behold, he liked it and even ate more. He enjoyed the beets and green beans so much that he forgot to collect his $5 bribe when dinner ended. I guess I don't need to worry about him being a corrupt politician someday. My Middle One also loved it and finished off the last few green beans in the bottom of the bowl.

Note to self.
Double the recipe of the Roasted Beet with Green Beans and Goat Cheese next time. Also, beets stain everything!!! Even your new white, blue, and green striped table runner. After telling your kids repeatedly to be careful with the beets, it will be The Mom who drops a big spoonful of the beets on the table runner. God bless the inventor of the Tide to Go stain stick.

I am only posting one recipe. My grilled chicken was just okay. I would recommend using the Barefoot Contessa's Grilled Lemon Chicken recipe instead.

Roasted Beets with Green Beans and Goat Cheese

serves 4 - double the recipe - you won't regret it

3 beets, trimmed of leaves and stems
olive oil
1 pound green beans, trimmed
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
4 ounces goat cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place beets in a small baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for about 45 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool. Peel beets when cool and cut into large dice. The beets will stain whatever they come in contact with. Wear disposable or rubber gloves to keep your new manicure looking its best.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and cook for about 3 - 4 minutes until they are just tender crisp. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.

In a small bowl combine the balsamic vinegar, mustard oregano, salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil to combine. Adjust seasonings. Set aside.

In a large bowl, place the green beans and top with the roasted beets. Drizzle the the balsamic vinaigrette over the vegetables. Crumble the goat cheese over the top and serve at room temperature.

1 comment:

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Beets are one of my favorites also... This salad looks great. I have never roasted beets myself and definately going to try this.....beets and goat cheese....you can't go wrong there!