Sunken Raspberry Poppy Seed Treasures


In honor of Mother's Day, I have taken the week off from preparing dinner. That does not mean we are resorting to take out or pizza every night. My decision was actually prompted when I decided to clean out my freezer on Monday. Here is a list of dinners I had packed away for future use and kinda forgot about:

3 pounds of Pulled Pork for sandwiches
2 containers of Chicken Verde
4 Veggie Burgers
Enough Grilled Soy-Lime Skirt Steak for fajitas

I can't go a day without cooking or baking so this week I'll be posting about my baked goods. Yesterday I had a spare hour that I thought I could put to better use than trying to tackle the ever-growing mound of laundry. No Thank You Boy loves my Poppy Seed Bread. Not wanting to make the same old recipe again, I created Sunken Raspberry Poppy Seed Treasures. The poppy seed muffin has the hidden bonus of raspbery jam and is topped with a orange-raspberry glaze.

I made the mistake of only making a dozen. I don't know what I was thinking. No Thank You Boy ate 4 before his lacrosse game, My Middle one had a couple for herself, and The Husband commented this morning, "I really like your muffins." Wink. Wink.

Whip up a batch. It takes less than an hour and is more enjoyable than separating the colors from the whites.

Sunken Raspberry Poppy Seed Treasures

makes 1 dozen

for the muffins -
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
3/4 cup milk
4 tablespoons raspberry jam

for the glaze -
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon raspberry jam
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients for the muffins together except for the raspberry jam. Fill each muffin liner about half full. Add a teaspoon of raspberry jam and top with enough batter to fill about 3/4 full. Bake for about 18 - 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 - 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the glaze ingredients and bring to a boil. Let reduce for 3 - 4 minutes. Spoon glaze over muffins. EAT!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow they look so good.