Java Rubbed Strip Steaks


"It's a hot fire tonight," commented The Husband yesterday just before he grilled our Java Rubbed Strip Steaks. But that is his comment every time he grills. He regards himself somewhat of a grill aficionado. And what man does not? Here is his favorite book.



We are in the middle of a sweltering heat wave on the East Coast. Even before he started the charcoal for the grill, the thermometer registered 110 degrees. When grilling began, the temperature registered a scorching 500 degrees. The high grill temperature caused the steaks to have a nice crust from the rub and cooked in about 5 minutes per side.

We are occasional beef eaters. Probably once a week. I picked up some strip steaks at Costco and researched the internet and my cookbooks for a new rub. I usually do the typical Montreal Steak Seasoning or Penzeys's Chicago Steak Seasoning. The spice mix is already in my cabinet making it a no-brainer. A new rub that caught my eye had a base of ground coffee. As a fan of a good cup of joe, I decided that what be the Rub de Jour. After reading a few recipes, I developed the Java Rub.



The steaks came off the grill sizzling and sealed in Java Rub. You did not taste coffee in this rub. Instead, they had a wood-smoked quality. "This one's a keeper," volunteered No Thank You Boy. He bypassed on his usual drowning of the steak in A-1 Steak Sauce. "I'll have some more," he said. I also went with one steak rubbed with my Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning. That's the one at the top of the photo. My Middle One was in a chlorine induced haze after spending a couple hours swimming after school. She was not very adventurous and opted for the Penzy rubbed steak as she starred off into the distance. Probably better if she would wear goggles for her next time at the pool. The Husband commented, "I can't put my finger on the taste but I like it. Nice and smokey."

Also on the menu were steamed artichokes with melted butter, brown sugar baked beans (I opened a couple cans of Trader Joe's Baked Beans, poured them into a pot, added a tablespoon of butter and a couple tablespoons of brown sugar), and grilled garlic bread.

One of our best meals in a while.

Java Rubbed Strip Steaks

4 strip steaks, about 1 1/2 inches thick

The Java Rub

2 tablespoons ground coffee
1 tablespoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon sugar

In a small bowl, combine the rub ingredients. Rub steaks with a generous amount of the spices. Cover and refrigerate for 1 - 4 hours.

Heat grill to high. Grill steaks about 6 - 7 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove steaks from the grill and let rest for 5 - 10 minutes before slicing.

enjoy.

10 comments:

Peter M said...

Sweet....those New Yorkers look good enough for Fred Flinstone!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

We will have to try the Java rub. Steaks look great. My husband is also the griller

Chef Erik said...

I don't eat meat but used to cook it a lot at the restaurant I worked at. That looks very crispy and juicy. Nice crustage!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Sounds like a very tasty rub! I haven't tried coffee on my steak yet, but another surprisingly good one that for some reason seems related to coffee in my head: cocoa powder.

Cakebrain said...

mmm. I haven't had a good steak in a while! That looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

I'm heating up the BBQ and can't wait to try that rub. It's going on the chicken. Yum!

La Bella Cooks said...

The rub sounds delicious. I will definitely have to give this one a try!

cindy* said...

these steaks look and sound amazing. i really need to get away from the standard dry rub i generally use...this one will definitely be making an appearance on the grill!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Definitely piqued my interest. I've seen coffee in braised dishes, but not on grilled ones. Have to try this one. Thanks!

joey said...

Sounds great ... my son does a similar coffee rub on pork tenderloins so I know it must be delicious. Happy weekend :)