Granny Smith and Craisin Chicken Salad



We joined a neighborhood pool about a mile from our house. It is a nice pool - like the ones I remember from when I was a kid. Nothing fancy. A rectangular cement pond with a diving board, some tables with umbrellas, a grill, and a ping pong table. It's just a nice pool with a group of nice families enjoying the warm summer months.

Part of the fun of belonging to a neighborhood pool is that everyone brings drinks and snacks to replenish the famished swimmers. For the first few weeks, I brought the usual Pringles, Goldfish, Bugles, Cokes, and my new summer drink of choice - Bud Light Lime. All was well, but I'm getting a little hungry for something more substantial to eat.

I mixed up a batch of Granny Smith and Craisin Chicken Salad for the pool tomorrow. Cooked, shredded chicken mixed with diced Granny Smith apples, Craisins, diced celery, walnuts, mayonnaise, and a dash of lemon juice will be waiting in the cooler for me and anyone else who happens to be sitting nearby.

Of course, I'll also be packing the Pringles, Goldfish, Bugles, Cokes and a few Bud Light Lime.


Granny Smith and Craisin Chicken Salad

4 cups cooked and shredded chicken
2 Granny Smith apples, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup Craisins
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Package in pint deli containers with plastic forks in a cooler with ice.

10 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

This is my kind of salad - nice and filling. Would have to omit the celery for my hubby though!

Prudy said...

Wow-that looks so good. I'd eat the pringles with that, too. The paella looks lovely, too.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

This is my favorite way of making chicken salad. Looks so yummy.

Sharona May said...

Looks really good! I agree that this is one of the best ways to make chicken salad with apples and nuts. YUM!!

Anonymous said...

This looks really tasty...what are craisins? France tends not to vary from traditional & I haven't come across this!

amycaseycooks said...

beth - I love having a salad like this in the refrigerator!!

prudy - You can never go wrong with pringles.

katherine and sharona may - I also like chicken salad with curry, mandarian oranges, and grapes

recipes2share - Craisins are a dried cranberry.

Anonymous said...

Definitely good for scooping up with a Pringle (can Pringles ever be singular?) or topping off with goldfish crackers! :) I'm passing this one on to a few folks.

Anonymous said...

aahh! thank you!

Marybeth said...

Amy, I made this salad for a friends b-day at work and it was a big hit. You are a great cook. Marybeth Nosal Moore

amycaseycooks said...

marybeth - so glad to hear that you and your co-workers enjoyed my recipe. I have so many fond memories of Susie and I cooking in your parents kitchen when we we going up. I hope all is well with you.