Garlic Lemon Shrimp and Orzo


Like many food bloggers, I spend an inordinate amount of time reading, developing, and testing recipes. I love to grocery shop. The fiction that I read is somehow about food. I watch culinary television shows. My cookbooks and magazines overflow my shelves.

I have found a way to share my passion for all things food, make a little cash while I'm at it, and not work crazy restaurant hours. As a personal chef, I help hungry families gather around the dinner table with a meal that doesn't come in a flat, cardboard box.

My business allows me get to know a family well. I plan and shop for their groceries. I cook in their home anywhere from 3 - 6 hours. I know what foods they like and what they don't like. Kids are running through the kitchen. Dogs are looking for a handout. As the name implies, it is a personal job. I would have to say this is a dream job for me. I love cooking for my family and now I get to share my passion for good food with others.

Today I cooked for a client that I have had for over a year. This family is an ideal client in that they are up for trying new recipes and foods. Also, for the most part, they let me pick their menus. One of their selections for a dinner this week was Garlic Lemon Shrimp and Orzo.

A white wine sauce enhanced with onions and garlic is used to poach the shrimp. Parsley and Parmesan and a pat of butter enrich the sauce before it is tossed with orzo. A filling yet light meal that will be enjoyed by your family and friends alike.

Garlic Lemon Shrimp and Orzo

serves 6

1 1/2 cups orzo, cooked according to package directions and drained, set aside
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 lemon, juiced and zested
3/4 cup white wine
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon butter
2 pounds of shrimp, 21 - 25 count, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup parsley, chopped
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

In a large saute pan, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook for about 5 - 6 minutes or until they are soft but not brown. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.

Add the lemon juice, zest, and wine. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and cook for 2 - 3 minutes to meld the flavors together. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir in pat of butter until melted.

Add the shrimp and cook until just cooked through, about 3 - 4 minutes. Toss shrimp and sauce with the orzo, parsley and Parmesan. Serve with extra cheese.


17 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

Can you please send me some? ;)
Shrimp, lemon and orzo...it doesn't get any better!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Garlic + lemon + shrimp + butter = always yummy!

Jan said...

Mmmm, looks and sounds delish. That sounds like a fun job you have, I'm not sure I would want to do it though, after all, I am the reluctant cook. :-)

Dragon said...

My neice call orzo, giant rice. :)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Now I am really hungry and it is a little too late to be eating!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

OK that looks simply scrumptious! I have to put this one on my 'to make' list for sure!

Jennifer said...

You have my dream job! That looks delish!

Anonymous said...

That looks so good. I am going to try it this week. I will be buying orzo at the market this weekend.

Paula said...

Oh lordy, I'd like a serving or two please! The wine and lemon and garlic with the shrimp ... delish! How wonderful that you get to live your dream job!

amycaseycooks said...

ok everyone. I'm lazy already today. thanks for all your kind comments. I do read them all and appreciate you visiting. have a great day.

Patsyk said...

that dish looks so yummy! we'd love it at our house!

Isn't it fantastic when you can combine what you love with what you do to earn money? I'm still working on that one!

test it comm said...

Garlic, lemon and shrimp! What a tasty combo!

Unknown said...

Any recommendations on fiction involving food? Am headed to the beach for a late summer vacation and could use some non-cookbook reading:)

amycaseycooks said...

yamalam - Cooking for Mr. Latte
Julie and Julia, A Year in Provence, and if you just want real fluff type books anything by Diane Mott Davidson

Colleen said...

I have had this starred forever and I just made it and posted it - yum!

Anonymous said...

I loved this recipe!! Thank you so much for sharing. It was perfect. I love fool proof recipes that are top notch. You never know what you are getting these days when you try something off of the internet. It seems like every one thinks they are a Chef these days, but turns out you are one who actually is, and for a good reason (you can cook!mmm).

TheBasilBee said...

mmm I tried your recipe this week, but forgot a lemon, so i used some lemon juice from my fridge, it still came out super yummy and my fiancee says this is in his TOP 5 of dinners. it was super quick too! Your blog is great!