Zucchini Pie


The sad reality has set in. It is back to the real world as our family vacation comes to an end today. Cue the violins. Countless loads of laundry to wash, floors to scrub, bills to pay.... These are a few of my favorite things.

The Husband noticed my funky mood; he wisely agreed with my suggestion to pick up some essentials for dinner on the trip home from the beach. A gallon of milk. 2 pounds of salmon. 4 zucchini. 2 pie crusts. Half gallon of vanilla bean ice cream. 5 ears of corn. Loaf of bread. Dinner included grilled salmon, corn on the cob, Zucchini Pie, and crusty bread with seasoned olive oil for dipping.

I have made this Zucchini Pie countless times. I even made a note on the recipe to make 2 because it is devoured by zucchini-lovers and haters alike.



Making pie dough was beyond my capabilities on this night. I used a trusty Pillsbury pie dough which never disappoints. The dough is brushed with Dijon mustard before adding the filling which adds a zippy taste.



Some slicing, chopping, mixing, and baking and the pie was ready in about 45 minutes.

"I don't know why this is so good, but it is" said The Husband. "One of my favorites," chimed in My Oldest. I'm just glad that I have one piece left for lunch tomorrow.

Zucchini Pie



1 pie crust, unbaked
Dijon mustard
1/4 cup butter
4 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
2 cups shredded cheese, I used a combination sharp cheddar and mozzarella
2 extra large eggs, beaten

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Line a pie plate with the pie crust and brush with Dijon mustard. Set aside.

Melt butter in a large saute pan and add zucchini and onion. Saute for about 8 minutes. Add the parsley, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic salt. Toss to coat. Cool slightly and then add cheese and eggs and mix. Pour into the prepared pie crust and bake for about 25 - 30 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.


The zucchini pie is waiting to be eaten.

The last sunset of the vacation.


27 comments:

Peter M said...

I think this is zucchini's summer and this tart is a wonderful hamage!

La Bella Cooks said...

Maybe I can get my husband to actually enjoy zucchini if I make it this way. It looks absolutely delicious! Nothing like a gorgeous sunset.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

This will be a great recipe to have on hand when my well-meaning friends with vegetable gardens begin to leave their excess zucchini on my porch!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Once zucchini is prolific in at the market I have this bookmarked to try:D

Robin said...

I feel your pain, I too dislike when vacation is over. Will this pie turn me into a zucchini lover? If someone gives me a zucchini this summer I will now know what to do with it. I usually make chocolate zucchini cake, but your pie sounds great.

Tanya said...

That looks delicious. I can't wait until our zucchini is ready so I can start making some yummy dishes with it. I'm adding this recipe to the list. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

this recipe encompasses two of my favorite things - crust and squash! definitely bookmarking this. thanks.

Leah said...

Oh, poor dear. I hate when vacation is over too, I get that sad 'let down' feeling after something I've looked forward to has come and gone. Sometimes it takes me a few days to snap out of it. Cheer up! We still have lots more summer. ;-)

This pie looks wonderful! Was this your main course? Would you ever serve it as a side to something else?

I'm with you, those Pillsbury crusts are great in a pinch. I use em all the time.

Sarah said...

Oh my that looks good. Printing the recipe now... :) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I can not wait to make this! My brother has an over abundance of zucchini in his garden and I KNOW he'd love to get rid of some of it. I assume this would work with a frozen (defrosted) pie crust as well?

Paula said...

This looks sooo good! I like how you brushed the pie shell with mustard ... clever! I'll hold onto this as the zucchini will start piling in soon!

grace said...

i know why it's good--it's a buttery pie crust full of cheese and tasty zucchini. plus, there's mustard. great recipe! :)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

It's tough to get back in the kitchen after a wonderful vacation...sometimes I pretend I can't remember where it is and that buys me a little time ;)

Your zucchini pie looks absolutely delicious!

Prudy said...

Welcome home. I'm making this soon. It just sounds too delicious. I'm always on the look out for zuke recipes, since the time has come that they must be used before they take over.

vanillasugarblog said...

Hmmm.... I don't really like zucchini, but I have to be honest that pie looks soooo good. And after reading the ingredients, I like that there is cheese and mustard in there. I am going to try this out for sure.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Beautiful pie and beautiful sunset! Welcome back to real life!

test it comm said...

That zucchini pie looks really good!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Love it! A great meal!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Thank you, thank you!! I have been looking for a way to use up my garden zucchini! This is perfect!

kat said...

oh, i have zucchini ready in the garden & think I'll try this!

amandalouden said...

I am about to be over-run with zucs in the garden. I will be making this.

grace hong said...

Thank you for your kind comment and the really great recipes! The pie was absolutely delicious.

Shelby said...

I WILL be trying this as soon as I get a hold of some zucchini from my parent's garden (they are my garden this summer!) Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am going to a concert where you can picnic and thought I might bring this. Do you know if it is good at room temp?

ps - I made your med ste you posted on chowhound. YUM!

I will check back to see if you answered (since I will be coming back anyway, or if you feel like it (shannan_shaw@yahoo.com)

Thanks for the ideas! S

Colleen said...

hi amy,
i wanted to let you know that i just linked back to this from my new blog (i don't know if you remember me emailing you awhile back). i hope i did this delicious pie justice! it was wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog yesterday and I love it! I'm definitely an amateur cook (unless there is a level below amateur...then that's me), but I made this for my coworkers today and everyone devoured it! Thanks for such a tasty recipe.

Chef Debbie said...

What a great looking pie! Think I'll be making this over the weekend!