Roasted Orange and Thyme Chicken Thighs with Crispy Parmesan Potatoes


As a personal chef, I am constantly testing recipes for my clients. One of the challenges I face when I cook for different families is that each has varying tastes. Some like classics such as lasagna and meatloaf, others are adventurous and like me to make new entrees for them each time I cook, and others like a combination of both. Researching recipes used by fellow personal chefs resulted in Roasted Orange-Thyme Chicken Thighs.

The recipe was originally developed by Bobby Flay of the Food Network and owner of numerous restaurants. I changed two important details from Mr. Flay's recipe; I substituted orange juice instead of tangerine juice, and roasted the chicken rather than grilling it. I was out of charcoal and wasn't running out to the store to pick it up. I am sure that grilling would add a smokey taste to the chicken, but we still enjoyed the roasted version.

No Thank You Boy was first with reviews. "This is really good. Make something else like this for tomorrow night."

"How about just eating the leftovers," I said.

"I am starving," whined My Oldest. "I need some more." I'll take that as a positive review.

In addition to the chicken, I served Crispy Parmesan Potatoes and steamed green beans. A good enough menu to deserve a repeat preformace at our house.

Roasted Orange and Thyme Chicken Thighs



10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
olive oil
salt
pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
3 cups of orange juice
2 teaspoons thyme, dried
scant 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken thighs on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a small saucepan and saute onions for about 8 minutes. After onions have sauteed, place chicken in preheated oven and roast for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, add orange juice and thyme to sauteed onions and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes or until reduced to about 1/2 cup stirring occasionally. When orange juice mixture has reduced to 1/2 cup, add maple syrup, soy sauce, pepper and salt. Continue to boil for about 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

Remove chicken from oven and brush with a generous amount of the sauce. Return to oven and continue roasting for about 10 - 15 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from oven and serve with remaining sauce.


Crispy Parmesan Potatoes



5 medium potatoes, cut in chunks
about 3 - 4 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Spread on a greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 30 to 40 minutes. Turn occasionally so they don't burn. The potatoes should be tender and lightly browned.


36 comments:

Peter M said...

Oh my my...sweet, succulent, juicy...need I say anything else?

Jen said...

Hi - thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I love your recipes! This looks absolutely fabulous.

I also write fiction, and the protagonist for my current series is a personal chef. (I still haven't sold this yet, though).

Again, great blog - I will certainly be putting this into my reader.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Wow, they look delicious! Love roasted potatoes like that.

Leah said...

My kids would be all over this, they love dark meat chicken. Pretty, too!

Anonymous said...

This looks really interesting. I like the combination of thyme and citrus, and I really prefer chicken thighs to breasts - they have more flavor.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

What a great meal! I love the chicken and I adore the crispy parmesan potatoes. I doubt there will be any leftovers. . .

grace said...

what a yummy glaze! this is the second thyme-seasoned chicken dish i've seen today, so i'm taking that as a sign for me to start roasting! :)

Quarantine Hobby said...

I'm looking forward to trying both of those recipes! Maybe together :) They look delicious. I love chicken with citrus, so this will be perfect!

Thanks so much.

Rindy R said...

Sweet and Savory on the same plate. Yum! I will be giving this a try. It sounds like the perfect summer meal! Your family is so lucky!!!!

Dragon said...

Oh wow! The chicken looks amazing and the potatoes are gorgeous. Can I come over for dinner?

Madeline said...

I'm always looking for new chicken leg recipes and this looks delicious! Those potatoes look great too.

Jan said...

That chicken looks scrummy, as do the potatoes

Anonymous said...

oh this does look so appetizing. orange and thyme sounds like a beautiful combination!

Leslie said...

Yummo..that chicken looks great..mmm and the glaze!!!

food makes me happy said...

The glaze on the chicken are irresistable!

La Bella Cooks said...

The glaze is gorgeous and I bet it is full of flavor. I was drooling at the sight of the potatoes as well. It looks like your family enjoyed a wonderful dinner together.

Nina Timm said...

OH my word, the chicken looks simply sublime!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting me as well. Roasting chicken is always best in my opinion, a nice change. And this looks so good...

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Oh you won me over right with the first photo. This looks delicious!

test it comm said...

That chicken looks and sounds really good!

Robin said...

The whole dinner sounds delish. Then chicken photos are beautiful. Drool!

amandalouden said...

These look great. You need to participate in the Potato-Ho round up.

Shelby said...

OK, I'm loving your blog. So glad I found you! These potatoes are out of sight. Grumpy reminded me they were good last night and has requested them again soon!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this recipe. I've been trying tons of new things to cook, and so far this is one of my favorites to make. As a personal choice note, I actually tried to make the sauce with 1/4 cup of cane syrup instead of maple. The reason was that the maple syrup was a bit too strong for me and my roommate, and the cane syrup added the right amount of sweet and texture to the sauce.

Thanks again!

amycaseycooks said...

anonymous - I am so glad you liked this recipe so much. I have never cooked with cane syrup. I will definately going to give it a try b/c sometimes I'm looking for a different sweetness for recipes.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I would definitely have to try these. They look so delishhhh!
Thanks for sharing.
A blogger next door :)

Unknown said...

Ooooh! This looks tasty! I think I'll try it next. :)

Tracy said...

All I can say is WOW! Hubby couldn't get enough of the potatoes and ate 4 pieces of chicken. Both of my picky kid's ate without problems. We really enjoy your bog Amy! Keep up the excellent work! Thank you for making meal time much easier to manage. I wish you lived closer :-(

amycaseycooks said...

Tracy -

So so glad it was a family hit! If your husband loved the potatoes, try the same recipe but subtitute cauliflower florets. Just as delicious.

Beth in Spokane said...

375 degrees for the chicken, 400 degrees for the potatoes- only one oven . . . what should I do ? Looks so yummy. Must make it tonight! So glad I just found your site !

amycaseycooks said...

Beth - you can roast the chicken along with the potatoes at 375 degrees. Put the potatoes in the 375 degree oven 10 mintues before the chicken. Then put the chicken in to cook. The potatoes will take a little long so after taking the chicken out when it is done and cover tightly with foil. Turn the oven up to 400 degrees and crisp up the potatoes for another 10 minutes or so.

Happy cooking and let me know how it turns out.

Alex Zeevy said...

I just prepared this chicken and it turned out absolutely delicious! I was kind of forced into making a little change to the recipe, because I was out of orange juice and used orange marmalade instead, which I diluted in hot water. Great recipe, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

my family tries to look for new meals instead of the same old same old. chicken is something we buy each month and we try new recipes. i may try this someday. chicken is not that expensive where i live.

amycaseycooks said...

anonymous - I hope the recipe is a hit at your house. chicken thighs are an economical way to go and the sauce makes them delicious.

Anonymous said...

What are your cooking recommendations for using boneless skinless breasts?

amycaseycooks said...

anonymous - I would make the sauce as directed in the recipe and set aside. Saute boneless chicken in a pan for about 3 - 4 minutes per side until golden brown. The chicken will not be cooked through at this point. Place chicken in a baking dish and pour sauce over the top. Bake in 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until internal temperature of the chicken is 168 degrees.

Enjoy!!