Italian Chicken and Artichoke Soup

Italian Chicken and Artichoke Soup
Cooler weather has set in the Northeast - time for more soups at our house. It is not too much work to make your own soup. Chopping is the most time-consuming portion of the recipe.

I was scanning the Internet for a new soup to make, and I came across one that looked a little different. Italian Chicken and Artichoke Soup sounded like something a majority of our family members would like. After a few changes, I think I have found a new family favorite soup. My Oldest likes it so much she has been eating it for 4 days in a row.

I made an extra large batch with hopes of putting some in the freezer for later. No such luck. After delivering a quart to the neighbors and enjoying numerous bowls ourselves, we only have 1 quart left in the refrigerator. That should be gone by tomorrow.


Italian Chicken and Artichoke Soup


3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups yellow onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup white wine
2 14-ounce cans of artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes in puree
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano, dried
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup beef broth
2 15-ounce cans of cannellini beans, drained
3 bone-in chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
about 20 basil leaves, chopped
dash of red pepper flakes
Parmesan cheese, grated

In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the onions. Saute for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add the wine and cook for an additional 2 - 3 minutes. Add the artichoke hearts, the three types of tomatoes, pepper, salt, oregano, and both broths. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the cannellini beans, chicken, basil, and red pepper flakes to taste. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.

Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top.




12 comments:

That Girl said...

It's like pasta without all the carbs!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE artichokes!! This really looks fabulous. What a great idea!!

kat said...

What a wonderful soup! Gotta bookmark that one for this winter

Patsyk said...

Looks DELICIOUS! Nice, warm and comforting for a cool day!

Colleen said...

I love artichokes, I love beans, I love soups! I can't wait to make this one - looks delicious!

Jenny said...

Wow, this looks flat out perfect. I will be treating myself to your soup very soon! Yum!

Aimée said...

I'm getting hungry just reading the recipe-beautiful soup!

Anonymous said...

I made this last night for dinner and had it again tonight; it's that good. It definitely ages well in the fridge and I found my left overs even more scrumptious than yesterday's fresh pot. I did cut back on the beans to 1 can and added some orzo in their stead. Loved it and it is a definite make-again!

amycaseycooks said...

Anonymous - I am so glad you liked the soup. I will try the addition of the orzo next time. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

I made this last week and it was sooooo good! Thank you for the recipe!

amycaseycooks said...

angela - I always like to hear when people enjoy my recipes. You are so welcome!!

joey said...

Sounds wonderful :)