Bacon and Swiss Meatloaves with Portebello Mushroom Gravy


Meatloaf in August?!!

Yes, meatloaf in August. This is one of my most requested meatloaf recipes by my personal chef clients. I have made them so many times that I think I could prepare them in my sleep. Well, not really because that would be kinda gross to make meatloaves in bed.


On this cookday, I made 6 Bacon and Swiss Meatloaves with Portebello Mushroom Gravy and paired them with Honey Glazed Baby Carrots. Here are the meatloaves I made all ready to be sealed and labeled. Wouldn't you love to come home to a refrigerator full of mini meatloaves. I know The Husband and My Oldest sure would. Maybe I could sign them up as clients.

The carrots are easy enough to make. Place one pound of baby carrots in a pot of boiling water. Cook for about 8 - 10 minutes or until just tender; you still want the carrots to have a little crunch. Drain and return to the pot. Add about 2 tablespoons of butter, a generous drizzle of honey, and salt and pepper to taste. I like my carrots with a little zip so I go heavy on the pepper.

As for the meatloaves, sauteed onions and celery are combined with seasonings, a couple eggs, breadcrumbs, and ground beef and pork. For one of my gluten-free clients, I make the meatloaves with rice flour breadcrumbs and they come out delicious ever time. A topping of additional Swiss cheese, crisp bacon, and rich portebello mushroom gravy completes the meatloaves.

If the weather is still too warm for you to enjoy this comfort food favorite, file this recipe away for the first chilly day. It will be here soon enough.

Bacon and Swiss Meatloaves with Portebello Mushroom Gravy
makes 6 mini meatloaves

2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
3 cloves of diced garlic
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 and 1/3 pounds ground beef - I like 90%
1 and 1/3 pounds ground pork
2 eggs
1 cup plain bread crumbs
12 slices of bacon cut in half and cooked until just crisp
8 slices of Swiss cheese

for gravy-
2 tablespoons butter
2 portebello mushrooms, diced
2 tablespoons flour
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups beef stock
salt and pepper to taste

For the meatloaves, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Over medium high heat, melt the butter in a large saute pan and add the onions and celery. Saute for about 10 - 12 minutes or until the onions begin to caramelize. Add the garlic and saute for and additional minute. Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and stir to combine. Remove from heat and let cool.

Meanwhile, place both meats, the eggs, and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Dice half of the bacon and 5 slices of the cheese and add it to the bowl. Add the onion mixture and gently combine all the ingredients. Form into 6 mini meatloaves and place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 30 - 40 minutes or until a thermometer registers about 160 - 165 degrees. Remove from oven and immediately top with the remaining cheese and 2 half slices of bacon.

While the meatloaves are baking, prepare the gravy. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute for about 5 - 7 minutes or until the mushrooms just begin to get tender. Still in the flour and cook for about a minute. Gradually add the beef stock and stir to combine. Cook the gravy for about 3 - 4 minutes or until thickened. Add more stock depending on how thick or thin you like your gravy. Serve warm over meatloaves.

Note -- the meatloaves can be prepared ahead of time and reheated in the microwave on 70% power for 1 - 2 minutes. Continue heating at 30-second intervals until they are heated through. The meatloaves can also be frozen. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and heat according to the above directions.

11 comments:

Denise said...

I would like 4 in my fridge so I dont have to make dinner tonight. They are so cute and sound so tasty.

Rindy R said...

These look so yummy! Someone is very lucky to have those in their fridge!

teresa said...

gorgeous! a perfect family dinner!

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

I made those for dinner tonight and just wanted to let you know that they were incredible. They are going in my regular rotation. Thanks for yet another amazing recipe.

Jan said...

Now this I am loving - I could eat one of those right now! Love the mushroom gravy.

Robin said...

Sign me up! Great containers too. I love hearing about your cooking days, I should have more cooking days!

sallybranwyn said...

Lovely, I'll be trying these out in a month or so, once my apartment gets less steamy and warm. Another perk is that this is a very affordable meal! Ground beef and pork are usually really cheap.

John said...

This looks delicious. I can see why people request it!

Lori said...

I have to say they look REALLY good. SO I can see why they are a fav and I havent even tasted them yet. Notice I said yet.

When I was a college student my room mates boyfriend made this amazing meatloaf that I have yet to replicate. It had mustard in it.He would not give away his secret. Geez, it just drives me nuts and that was like 20 some years ago. SO glad to see you share this beauty.

Tammy said...

I'm putting this on my menu! It looks delicious. I love how you shared the photograph of the individual portions for clients.

PGlisson said...

I made these tonight for my husband and I - they were wonderful! Very moist and such a wonderful flavor! Thanks very much for sharing!