Garlic Lovers' Crock Pot Chicken

Garlic Lovers' Crock Pot Chicken
We had a few days of cool and rainy weather which prompted me to dust off my crock pot and search for some new recipes. My slow cooker usually gets the summers off, but I may be enlisting it more often after our latest dinner. Garlic Lovers' Crock Pot Chicken was ridiculously easy to prepare and received high praises all around.

"I could eat this every night," said My Oldest.

It was a very quiet dinner which is usual at our house. But the reason for the lack of conversation was that our mouths were constantly full.

"I am eating too fast, but that is because it is so good," I finally blurted out.

"The garlic is my favorite part. Let's just make a whole crock pot full of garlic next time," commented The Husband.

Garlic cloves ready to be spread on sourdough bread
My dinner prep started at about 10:30 in the morning. Into the crock pot went a sliced onion, a 7 pound chicken, 30 cloves of garlic, some wine, chicken stock, and seasonings. About 6 hours later, the entree for for dinner was ready. We also had Honey Mustard Brussels Sprouts, Crispy Parmesan Potatoes, and a loaf of sourdough bread. The garlic cloves, which mellow after hours in the crock pot have a subtle but rich flavor. It is delicious spread on a crusty slice of bread.

After the ease of making a scrumptious dinner tonight, my crock pot will be a fixture on my kitchen counter for some time to come.

Garlic Lovers' Crock Pot Chicken
serves about 5

1 whole chicken, about 6 - 7 pounds
1 onion, sliced
30 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup flour dissolved in 1/2 cup chicken stock

Place chicken, onion, and garlic in crock pot. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle salt, pepper, and thyme over the chicken. Add wine and chicken stock mixture to the crock pot. Cook on low for about 6 hours. The internal temperature of the chicken should register about 165 degrees when it is done.

I kept the chicken in the crock pot about another hour on warm after it was finished cooking. Remove chicken and garlic from the crock pot and serve.

17 comments:

Grace said...

I saw your post and immediately cornered my husband on if he'd like to try this. I got an enthusiastic "YES!" from him. Looks like I'll be visiting the meat section of my grocery store to pick up a chcken this week.

Creative Classroom Core said...

I am always looking for an excuse to use my crockpot! This sounds amazing!

kat said...

A crock pot can be your friend in the summer since it doesn't heat up your whole kitchen.

Colleen said...

Wow - garlic central! Looks great and I love using my crock pot!

Jana said...

Followed you here from food gawker and am going to become your stalker. You will be saving my family this fall, starting with garlic chicken. I can't wait to come tomorrow (no good, we won't all be home tomorrow night and I have open house), Wednesday (no good either soccer then youth group), THURSDAY night with the house smelling like garlic and dinner all ready for the family!

teresa said...

i love garlic, so i have no doubt that i would love this!

Patsyk said...

What a fabulous way to use the crockpot! I don't use mine often but, really should with a recipe like this.

Kaye said...

This looks AMAZING! I've never put a chicken whole into the slow cooker! Does it go breast up?

amycaseycooks said...

Kaye - yes put the chicken in breast side up. My chicken was even a Perdue roaster with the pop up timer and it popped after about 5 1/2 - 6 hours.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I am not sure I have seen a 6-7 pound chicken, but this does look so good!

Bill Medifast said...

My crockpot is one place I do most of my cooking including chicken! This looks delicious. Now I am craving some juicy fall off the bone chicken.

Thanks for the idea. I rarely use garlic now a days but I think it is time I throw some in the crock pot and have a delicious meal!

- Bill

tabitha said...

The recipe looks great--can't wait to try it.

Thanks for putting your recipes into a print format. Makes printing only the info needed much easier!

Kaye said...

Thanks! I made it last night! It was goooood. This will be a new 'go to' recipe for me! I omitted the onion (my fiance has a thing about too much onion) and it was great. I also had to sub a spice mix for the thyme, but next time, I'm just going to throw a couple sprigs of fresh thyme in!

Lynn said...

I am salivating, girl! We need to grow more garlic around here; I think we would LOVE this dish :)

Michelle said...

I made this for dinner last night (ohhh did the house smell divine!). Unfortunately, however, I accidentally had the crock pot set to the 'high' setting for the entire 6 hours it was on. The meat fell off the bone but was a bit dry. Will definitely be doing this one again!

amycaseycooks said...

Cassie -

Thank you so much for your kind comments and I am so happy that the chicken in the crock pot helped sell your home. I accidently deleted your comment but wanted to tell you Congratulations and good luck in the future!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes.

I frequently "poach" a chicken in the crockpot (no liquid) to use for sandwiches, burritos, wraps, salads, etc. And I've made "roasted" garlic in the crockpot too. I've also made the famed "40 cloves of garlic chicken" recipe in the oven -- never occurred to me to combine all three!

I think I will serve this with some crusty bread for schmearing the garlic on. Yum.

Thanks!
~A Girl Named Nick

http://www.girlnamednick.wordpress.com