Chicken with Mushrooms and Spinach Casserole


Chicken with Mushrooms and Spinach Casserole
It was time to make dinner - again! - and I was on the hunt for something quick, easy and would use the cooked shredded chicken I had in the refrigerator.  Lo and behold, a recipe just happened to appear in my inbox that I tinkered with to become Chicken with Mushrooms and Spinach Casserole.

I subscribe to many recipe newsletters, and my inbox is typically sprinkled with recipes for breakfast casseroles, easy and healthy dinners, and the Top Ten side dishes of all time.  As I was clicking through my emails and trying to come up with something for dinner, a recipe caught my eye.  It was included in an email from Everyday Food and with a few changes, it was a welcome addition to our dinner table.

No Thank You Boy was his typical "no thank you" self.  He said it tasted like chicken soup without the soup.  He also commented that he doesn't like spinach or mushrooms, but he does like chicken.

"This would be my favorite without the vegetables," he added.

My Middle One liked dinner but was not a fan of the spinach.

"Spinach is kinda leafy and stringy when cooked.  I don't think it has much flavor.  But the chicken and mushrooms are really, really good.  And the crunchy bread on top is especially good.

I, unlike my dinner companions, loved the whole casserole.  It used ingredients I had on hand.  It was ready to eat in about 30 minutes.  It included the 4 major food groups.  And there was even some left for me to enjoy for lunch today.  I think that is a win-win all around.

Double the recipe.  You won't be sorry.

Chicken with Mushrooms and Spinach Casserole

adapted from this recipe 

serves 4

2 cups torn bread
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 (10 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic clove, chopped
2 cups packed baby spinach
2 tablespoons white wine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
2 cup shredded cooked chicken
pinch of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine bread with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt. Set aside.

In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and the butter over medium-high. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic and saute for 6 - 8 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes.  Stir in the flour and cook for an additional minute until it is incorporated.  Stir in the milk and stir to combine.  Cook for 2 - 3 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.  Stir in the chicken, add the nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper.

Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish and top with bread pieces. Bake until bread is golden brown and mixture is bubbling, 8 to 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

We will be searching for recipes just like this for after the holidays. I bet we could even use some of that lefover turkey:D

amycaseycooks said...

bellini -

turkey would be a great sub for this recipe.

Merry Christmas!!