Mini Greek Burgers with My Tzatziki


I have been reading through my cookbooks lately. I usually get a cookbook, pour through it and then forget about for a while. The Husband picked up Great Food Fast which is an Everyday Food cookbook from Martha Stewart. the recipes are broken down into seasons. The first time I went through the book, I wasn't too impressed. a couple weeks ago, I decided to go through it again. I marked the recipes I wanted to try and ended up with about 20 recipes that are going to show up at our kitchen table.

With school starting next week and the afternoon activities that go with it, I have decided to employ my personal chef techniques to make dinner time a little easier. Yesterday afternoon, I spent about 2 hours making Stuffed Grilled Eggplant and Stuffed Shells (see Dinner #31) and Mini Greek Burgers with My Tzatziki (tzatziki is just a fancy name for cucumber yogurt sauce). I make more than a dinner's worth of each recipe so The Husband will have plenty of lunches at work. Maybe he can start selling his lunch to make a few extra bucks.

We had the Mini Greek Burgers last night after No Thank You Boy's football practice. Just heated up the burgers that I grilled earlier in the afternoon, stuffed them in a pita with sliced onions, tomatoes and topped with tzatziki. When I made the burgers, I used 1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 ground lamb. It's all that my store had. Next time I will use all lamb. Really good dinner. Lends itself well to reheating but, is quick enough to make right before dinner time. A keeper.

Mini Greek Burgers with My Tzatziki

serves about 5

2 pounds ground lamb
about 1 cup finely chopped onion
handful of chopped fresh oregano, or use about 2 tb dried
salt
pepper
6 pitas
tomato slices, really thin
onion slices, really thin

2 kirby cucumbers, grated
1 cup plain yogurt
1 garlic clove, chopped
salt
pepper

I a bowl combine lamb onion, oregano, and season with salt and pepper. Mix gently. Form into about 16 - 18 mini burgers. Grill about 3 - 4 minutes per side. I did mine inside on a grill pan. Mix remaining ingredients for the tzatziki.

To serve, cut pitas in half. fill with 2 burgers, tomato, onion, and a good dollop of the tzatziki.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love cooking with lamb and am always looking for interesting recipes. This looks fun and yummy and something that everyone in my house will eat. Thanks!