Chicken Fettucine with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Bacon


The Husband is not a pasta-eater. He is a meat and more meat man. When he is working late, I typically make a pasta dish because I like pasta and my kids do too. 2 of my 3 kids could be classified as noodle-aholics with No Thank You Boy liking pasta about 50% of the time. He is hard to figure out sometimes.

Last night, with The Husband working late, it was a Pasta Night at my house. In the last couple days, I have received 4 foodie magazines in the mail. I picked a new recipe out of Cuisine at Home for Chicken Fettucine with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bacon. The original recipe called for pappardelle which is a wide flat pasta, but I didn't have any. Fettucine made an acceptable stand-in.

The dish has a rich sauce - probably from the oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, bacon and cream in the sauce. Needless to say it was good. I like one dish meals. Less clean up to deal with. I should have added a vegetable side; the kids just ate some sliced pears instead. My Oldest ate her portion and finished off what was left in her sister's bowl. No Thank You Boy ate the chicken and proceeded to say that the pasta "had a funny smell." I told him he had a funny smell. He ate 2 more pears and was happy.

This was a satisfying meal. If I make dinner and 3 out of the 4 of us like it, I consider it a success.

Chicken Fettucine with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bacon

adapted from a Cuisine at Home recipe February 2008 issue

serves about 4

8 ounces fettucine, cooked and drained
4 strips of bacon, diced
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, sliced thin
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
3 cloves garlic, minced
dash of red pepper flakes
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half
salt and pepper
1/4 cup Romano Parmesan cheese

Saute bacon until almost crisp. Add tomatoes, chicken, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook for about 1 - 2 minutes.

Deglaze pan with the wine, scraping bottom of skillet. Stir in broth, half and half and pasta and bring to a simmer. Cook until sauce thickens slightly, about 3 - 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cheese.

No comments: