Dinner #12 of the 12 Dinners of Christmas -- Turkey and Wild Mushroom Mini Meatloaves with Savory Mushroom Gravy


Whoo whoo whoo!! I am finally posting the last of my 12 Dinners of Christmas. Note to self - it will take you longer than you think to complete a project. Give yourself extra time around the holidays for any endeavour you undertake.

That being said, I present tonight's dinner -- Turkey and Wild Mushroom Mini Meatloaves with Savory Mushroom Gravy. This entree is everything one could want in a comfort food, but in a lightened up version. Traditional meatloaf is made with ground beef; this version is made with 93% fat free ground turkey. It is flavored with shiitake and portebello mushrooms, thyme, A-1 sauce, and Italian seasoned breadcrumbs. Topped with a peppery mushroom gravy, this made for a delicious entree. I also served oven blasted green beans and mashed turnips with Parmesan cheese. I'll be posting the turnip recipe soon. If you liked my Mashed Garlic Cauliflower, you'll absolutely love mashed turnips!

With temperatures in the low teens tonight, The Husband said, "This is excellent comfort food, and it is even nutritious. The whole meal has lots of flavor."

My Oldest commented, "This meal has lots of color and vegetables, and it is still good."

Then enters No Thank You Boy. He says, "What's for dinner? Meatloaf? Mashed turnips? Green Beans? Didn't I already eat 4 green beans last week? Ummmmm..... How about a ham and cheese sandwich melted in the microwave?"

I am all for not preparing separte meals for different family memebers. But tonight I decided this was one battle not worth fighting. He did eat 4 sugar snap peas - not green beans - last week. Add even one carrot a couple days ago.

I was overly happy with the result of our dinner. I made the meatloaves, gravy, and mashed turnips earlier in day and just reheated at dinner time. While the other parts of the meal were reheating, I blasted the olive oil coated green beans in the oven at 425 degrees for 12 - 14 minutes. They were seasoned with salt and pepper and dinner was ready.

A truly comforting meal that doesn't go straight to your waist.

Turkey and Wild Mushroom Mini Meatloaves with Savory Mushroom Gravy

Adapted from a Rachel Ray recipe

6 servings

olive oil
1 large portebello mushroom, chopped
6 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper
1 1/3 pounds ground turkey, the average weight of 1 package
2 tablespoons A-1 Steak Sauce
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons butter
3 large button mushrooms, chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup low fat milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add about 2 tablespoons of oil. Add chopped mushrooms and onions. Saute for 5 or 6 minutes until dark and tender. Add garlic and saute an additional minute. Stir in thyme and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl and set pan aside.

Add turkey to the mushroom mixture. Add A-1 sauce, breadcrumbs, and egg. Mix ingredients together. Divide meat loaf mixture into 6 equal parts and form 6 equal oval meatloaves. Heat the saute pan or a grill pan and coat with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and arrange meatloaves in the pan. Sear each side of the meatloaves for about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a baking sheet and finish baking in oven for about 13 - 15 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

Return pan to heat and add butter and mushrooms. Saute for about 3 - 4 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in stock and milk and season gravy with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer gravy until it reaches desired thickness, and pour over patties, reserving a little to pass at the table.

Print recipe

Shopping list



12 comments:

Dragon said...

Warm, comfortable and pefection. I adore ground turkey and can't wait to give this a try.

Anonymous said...

this looks good!! i bet it feels good to have family enjoy a meal you cooked too! :)

Anonymous said...

Well done on finishing the project - I'm still in the middle of writing my (2008) Christmas letter!! Looks divine & worth the wait!

That Girl said...

I just recently started adding mushrooms to meatloaf. I really like the addition!

Colleen said...

I love the addition of the mushroom gravy! I will have to try that next time.

Anonymous said...

My hubby loves mushrooms, I'll have to make this for him - thanks!

MaryBeth said...

My hunny also loves mushrooms, me not so much. But the meat loaf does look good.

amycaseycooks said...

dragon - it was a very comforting dinner as well as a comforting lunch the next day.

madison song - my family is used to me trying new foods/recipes on them. usually 4 out of 5 like dinner.

recipes2share - thanks!!! it got a little away from me.

that girl - the mushrooms make for a very moist and flavorful meatloaf.

colleen - I just had a few extra mushrooms and was to lazy to get them into the refrigerator - into the gravy they went.

biz319 - hope he likes the meatloaf. let me know how it goes.

marybeth - chop the mushrooms finely - you'll never know they are in the meatloaf but get the moistness.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, this looks so good. And sounds great adding the mushrooms and all those flavorings, then searing the meatloaves before baking. But what can I replace the A-1 steak sauce with?

amycaseycooks said...

jamie - you could substitute worchestshire sauce, but I would only use about 1 tablespoon b/c it is a stronger flavor.

Aggie said...

I love the idea of mini meatloaves...I've made them once and loved them. I am bookmarking this recipe! It sounds and looks great!!

Annie said...

I love any comforting recipe that doesn't go straight to my waist!!