Ricotta Gnocchi in a Flash!


It is dinner time again. Every day like clockwork, it creeps up on you like a little kid waiting just around the corner to scare you. What will you make for dinner tonight?!

Check the freezer. You spy ice cream, a frozen pizza, a couple pounds of rock hard ground beef, Stouffler's Mac and Cheese, a container of frozen blueberries, a package of half-eaten hash brown patties. And then your eyes widen and your mouth curls into a smile. You see it. The large Ziploc bag of Ricotta Gnocchi you made last month just waiting for the Fresh Basil Marinara in the refrigerator.


You may be thinking that there is not a bag of frozen Ricotta Gnocchi in your freezer because it is too time consuming to make. And wouldn't it be just as easy to buy it from the grocery store? You would be wrong if you thought that. It only takes a short amount of time to make enough gnocchi for dinner and some for the freezer. And the store bought gnocchi will taste...well....store bought. With a quart of marinara on hand, a dinner that will be more satisfying than the frozen pizza you were thinking about eating will be ready in about the time it takes to boil water.

I have learned to do foods simply. Making meals with good ingredients and simple cooking techniques yields pleasing and scrumptious food. Ricotta Gnocchi is one such food.

Live to eat. Don't eat to live.


Ricotta Gnocchi in a Flash!
Recipe by personal chef Kris Etze

2 pounds ricotta cheese
all purpose flour (enough to fill the cheese container, leveled off)
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh basil marinara
grated Parmesan cheese

Place the ricotta into a mixing bowl. Measure the exact amount of all purpose flour needed to fill the container. Level it off. Add to the ricotta cheese with the salt and blend well.

Take the dough and roll it onto 1 inch ropes.

Cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Press with your thumb to make an indentation or roll off a fork like traditional gnocchi.


Place prepared gnocchi onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. They may be frozen at this point. Freeze, then place in Ziploc bags for later use. Fresh or frozen, to prepare gnocchi, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the gnocchi and return to boil. When the gnocchi float to the top they are done, about 3 - 5 minutes.


Fresh Basil Marinara Sauce
makes about 4 cups

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 ounce) can peeled whole plum tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
red pepper flakes to taste
1 tablespoon sugar
2 stalks fresh basil leaves or 1 heaping teaspoon dried basil

In a saucepan over medium high heat, add the olive oil and onion. Saute for 6 - 8 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and saute an additional minute. Carefully pour in the tomatoes and add the salt, red pepper flakes, and sugar. Stir and bring just to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer, add the basil and continue cooking for about 20 minutes.

Remove basil from the sauce. Cool, package and refrigerate until ready to enjoy.

Share/Bookmark

27 comments:

Patti Anastasia said...

I need to make those gnocchi. And your sauce looks great too.

Lo said...

Nothing beats a freezer filled with delicious morsels like this...

kesha@sharedsugar.com said...

Wow, this looks so easy. Excited to give this a try.

kat said...

Oh those do sound easy!

Debbie said...

Looks delicious and it really does sound simple!

Lucy said...

I'd be overjoyed to find this in my freezer because it looks amazing! What a dinner - and so happily simple :)

teresa said...

i just love the look of those little pillows, as my kids call them! delicious!

Robin said...

I love this recipe and will have to try it out. My little people do like gnocchi and this will be a perfect meal when Himself is gone on business. The kiddos can help do this one for sure. Thanks Amy!

Maria said...

Bookmarked! I can't wait to try it!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I made ricotta gnocchi yesterday morning for the first time with the guidance of an Italian friend of mine. It truly is one of those melt in your mouth dishes.

Larie said...

I've been looking to try making gnocchi for a long time, and yours looks manageable...thank you!

joey said...

Yum, made a similar recipe years ago from an old Italian cook ... it's time again :)

My Sister's Kitchen said...

I love gnocchi and it this looks delicious and not too hard. Love your website!

Arlene Delloro said...

This recipe doesn't mess around. Simple! I love gnocchi and will try these soon. Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you could make gnocchi with ricotta cheese!

Have you tried making it with instant mashed potatoes? It's on my growing list of things to try.

Have a great weekend!

Colleen said...

I've tried making gnocchi before (Giada's recipe) and it was a disaster so I have shied away from it. I need to try it again though!

Velva said...

This is a wonderful meal for a weeknight. Thanks for sharing.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Hi, again. I made this today, thanks so much.

http://momssundaycafe.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunday-morning-kitchen-ricotta-gnocchi.html

Melissa Guay said...

These are SO GOOD!!!!!! So easy to make and fabulous tasting. I just tossed mine with a bit of olive oil and sprinkling of parmesan...YUM.

Anonymous said...

We love your recipes! I made the gnocchi last week and your thin pizza crust over the weekend. Both keepers! Our favorites also include the roasted vegetable lasagna, buttermilk chocolate cake and the maple glazed salmon with sweet potatoes. Thanks for posting all those delicious recipes!

Anonymous said...

My family loved these..........I loved the simple recipe. I tossed mine with butter and some parmiagiana reggiano (sp). My daughter especially loved them cold the next morning.

Anonymous said...

I made yout ricotta gnocchi over the weekend. My family loved it. They were very happy that I made enough to greeze and put away to eat soon. Thanks for such an easy and tasty recipe.

Erica said...

This looks amazing! I'm totally trying this!!!!!!!!!!

jyeh92 said...

Thanks for posting such a great and easy to make recipe! As a college student, time savers like this are always appreciated. Haven't made these yet, but I bet it will be wonderful :)

Anonymous said...

I am pleased to see that you formed the "eye" in the gnocchi with your thumb. That is the way that my grandmother, who immigrated from Italy in 1918 did it. No forks, thats for mass produced frozen gnocchi.

Aspiring Mom2three said...

This looks positively fabulous and would go fantastic with the Asiago chicken and peasant bread I make. I've never made gnocchi, but your recipe tempts me greatly. I love checking our your recipes for my family. Fabulous!

You left a note on my blog a few years ago and I was wondering if you ever made any frosty ice cream for your family? Fantastic summer treat.

amycaseycooks said...

mom2three - oh my gosh! I totally forgot about that recipe. I will have to make it during these hot days of summer.

take care!