Fried Rice - Very Veggie with Chicken


I am not a last minute type of gal when it comes to dinner. I cook most weekdays for my personal chef clients. And even though I love to cook, I like to plan out a few meals on a Sunday afternoon so that during the week I barely need to think when I cook dinner for my family.

I like dinners that I can make ahead of time and can be reheated when I am ready to serve it. And if they don't taste like a reheated dinner, that is even better. One such dish is Fried Rice - Very Veggie with Chicken. I did my best to replicate the fried rice you can get at your favorite Chinese restaurant. Only my recipe has about a third of the fat and calories but still all the tasty fried rice flavor.

Fried Rice - Very Veggie with Chicken is a favorite at my house. So much so that No Thank You Boy (who has decided he is no longer No Thank You Boy and would like a new name) took a thermos full to lacrosse camp today. After making dinner late yesterday afternoon, I left the wok on the stove top and everyone served and reheated their fried rice as they got home. I was hoping for lots of leftovers, but that did not happen.

If you are feeling like you want an even healthier version of Fried Rice - Very Veggie with Chicken, prepare it with brown rice. You will love it just the same.

Fried Rice - Very Veggie with Chicken
makes about 8 cups

4 eggs, beaten
3 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari, divided
2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 pound of chicken tenderloins, cut in very small pieces
2 cups crimini mushrooms, chopped small
4 cups cabbage and carrot slaw mix
4 cups of cooked long grain rice, cooled and refrigerated
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 green onions, sliced (about 1/4 cup)

In a small bowl combine eggs and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Set aside.

Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil into a wok or large skillet. Preheat over medium heat. Add garlic and egg mixture and stir gently to scramble. When set, remove egg mixture from the wok. Cut up any large pieces of egg mixture. Set aside.

Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil into the wok or skillet and heat to high heat. Add the chicken, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce and cook, stirring occasionally until just cooked through, about 4 - 5 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.

Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil into the wok or skillet and heat to high heat. Add the mushrooms and the cabbage and carrot mix, stirring occasionally until just beginning to softened, about 3 - 4 minutes. Add cooked rice and peas. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Cook and stir for 2 - 3 minutes or until heated through. Add cooked egg mixture, cooked chicken, and green onions and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil; cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through.

9 comments:

Natalie said...

I was JUST thinking to myself that I want to try making healthy fried rice...totally giving this a go soon!

Andrea said...

I just wanted to say I really enjoy your recipes..as a busy working mom trying to keep things healthy you have a lot of good options to try!

amycaseycooks said...

The R Family - thanks for your kind compliments. I try to have many options for dinner recipes but healthy ones that many family members will like.

Thanks for stopping by.

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

This looks like a fantastic recipe! I'm sure my family would enjoy this. Thanks for sharing!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love the simplicity and the fresh ingredients here.

Vibey said...

Heck - I totally dig that you send your kid out with a thermos full of fried rice! When my now adult kids roast me, they invariably talk about The Trauma of the Thermos. Now I can point them in your direction and tell them I'm not the only one.

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

I love love love fried rice- but have not nailed a great recipe yet. I will be trying this!

caitlin said...

I have made this numerous times. I love this recipe, thank you for sharing!

amycaseycooks said...

caitlin - so glad you love this recipe. it is a favorite of my kids and clients too.